In 1911, a German immigrant named Oswald R. Schubert came to San Francisco and began baking in a small building located on Fillmore St. Business was soon booming and he required more space to keep up with demand. In the 1940s he moved to our current location on Clement St. Growing older, he decided to retire and sold the shop to another baker named Fred.
Fred continued the artisanal baking methods that Oswald had used since founding the shop, and also added some new products to the already tremendous selection.
In 1968, Hilmar and Annie Maier bought Schubert's and ushered the bakery into the modern era. Although the neighborhood began to change,
Schubert's remained a constant landmark
along Clement St.
The current owners, Ralph and Lutz Wenzel, purchased the business in 1995. Fourth generation bakers from Germany, the Wenzel Brothers bring together old world techniques and modern-day technology, with delicious results. Some of the favorites from 1911, such as the Neopolitan and the Opera Cake are still being baked by popular demand to this day. The selection has also been updated with more diverse offerings such as Tiramisu, Mango Mousse and Swedish Princess Cake.
We welcome you to Schubert's Bakery, serving the highest quality crafted cakes since 1911.